Leaders and affiliations : John M. Hanchar (Memorial University), Marian Lupulescu (New York State Museum), Jeff Chiarenzelli (St. Lawrence University)
Contact : [email protected]
Description : Field trip to the Adirondack Mountains, in New York State, to explore the regional geology and to visit several spectacular exposures of magnetite-apatite (MtAP) deposits and their hydrothermally altered host rocks.
The trip will be for three days and will be based out of Lake Placid, New York (NB. fieldtrip will start and end from Lake Placid, NY; transportation from Quebec City and custom procedure are the responsibility of participants).
Here is the suggested itinerary.
- Marble outcrop (with graphite, garnet, and diopside) along Hudson River north of Warrensburg, New York, on Rte. 28 – Introduction to Adirondack Grenville geology.
- Barton Mines – Brief stop at the historic Gore Mountain garnet deposit.
- Mineville – Famous historic MtAp deposits.
- Skiff Mountain – Strata-bound MtAp deposit with Na altered host rock.
- Cheever Mine – another style of MtAp mineralization.
- Woolen Mills – Classic outcrop of Adirondack Grenville geology.
- Rutgers Mine – Thought to be one of the oldest of the MtAp deposits and certainly the most complex to study, Lyon Mountain granite hosted MtAp deposit.
- Palmer Hill – Historic strata-bound Lyon Mountain granite hosted MtAp deposit.
- Arnold Hill – if still accessible – Lyon Mountain granite hosted MtAp deposit.
- Clintonville – along Ausable River to see slag and nice place to stop for a few minutes where once was a mining town where several thousand people lived.
- Dannemora – Classic K-altered MtAp host rock, Lyon Mountain granite hosted.
- Lyon Mountain – one of the largest MtAp open pit mines in the Adirondacks, Lyon Mountain granite hosted.
- Jayville – MtAp deposit that is away to the west from the other MtAp deposits.
- Harrison wollastonite – classic geo-stop to collect blue calcite and wollastonite – quick stop.
- Benson Mines – In its day, this was one of the largest open pit mines in the world – also a MtAp deposit away from the other MtAp deposit.
Number of participants (Min/Max) : to be determined
Duration : 3 days
Date : Post-congress